Wednesday, March 14, 2007

My first two weeks of blogging



Before starting the English lessons with Sarah, I simply knew that something called “blog” existed, I had a vague idea of what these “blogs” were but I had never used them, nor thought about the possibility to create my own blog! In these two weeks I've understood what they actually are and how much they can be useful and interesting.

The big world of blogs is a labyrinth: you start your search looking for something specific but you don’t know where are you going and what you’re going to find. Before finding the information you’re looking for, you surely have to visit many blogs that seem to deal with your topic, but actually talk about something totally different! This is the impression I got with my first approach to this world...

However, if you’re lucky, you can easily find “your” blog: a collection of posts which gives you everything you want to know about that particular topic, giving you also the possibility to comment these posts and contact their authors. A very good chance to improve your knowledge and experience!

While surfing the net from one blog to another, I realized that the language used by bloggers is not the formal and specific one you find in the web sites. It is mostly informal and colloquial, slang and spoken expressions are frequent, particularly in comments. In creating my personal blog, I’m going to improve my written skills, but the language I have to face reading the others’ posts is more similar to the spoken rather than the written one.

This new experience is going to be very important first because it’s teaching me how to exploit the possibilities of the net, secondly because it’s influencing my language learning thanks to the new kind of English I’m going to deal with.


(Photo from Flickr)

No comments: